2019 IT job trends

Four 2019 IT Job Trends That Will Future-Proof Your Career

Flying cop cars, laser cannons, and organ farms (yikes)? The top tech innovations that old school movies predicted for 2019 are not going mainstream any time soon. However, plenty of impactful (yet less cinematic) IT developments are becoming an everyday part of the business world. From our experience, IT professionals who tap into these 2019 IT job trends will not only have a chance to work on amazing projects, but will set themselves up for a successful year in their career!

Open Source Technologies

After years of resistance, the business world is finally joining 77% of IT companies by opening up to the flexibility and speed of open source technology. A survey by The Linux Foundation revealed that 37% of all companies use open source tools while an additional 16% plan to take the plunge soon. With a total 53% of businesses soon relying on open source expertise, the demand for these skills is expected to skyrocket this year.

Which skills do companies want most? It ranges from established platforms to new contenders. For example, 80% of hiring managers are looking for Linux experts to yield best-in-class results from open source cloud and container technologies and DevOps practices. Additionally, 54% of Fortune 500 companies are now using Kubernetes, the open source technology designed by Google, and job openings have increased 230% since September – making it one of the fast-growing skill sets.

Regardless of the platform or tool you use, showcasing any open source expertise on GitHub or in job interviews are the kind of skills employers want to sink their teeth into.

Machine Learning Tools

We’re elated today’s smart machines don’t live up to those predicted by older movies (Blade Runner’s version of 2019 had way too many killer robots for our comfort). Instead, we’re living in a world where artificial intelligence and machine learning applications are being leveraged to give businesses a competitive edge and enhance human capabilities in the workplace. And more companies are embracing that opportunity.

The demand for machine learning capabilities runs from more routine tasks to time-intensive, intricate analysis. Most organizations are missing as many as 50% of all automation opportunities, making experienced RPA professionals a hot commodity. For top talent experienced in artificial intelligence, job postings are rising much faster than job seekers.

Though including buzzwords like these in your resume will attract attention, you need to prove your strength with data analysis, statistics, and other in-demand foundational skills. Organizations that can follow your problem-solving processes will be more enthusiastic to add your talent to their team.

Big Data Expertise

As Forbes pointed out last year, we’re at the point where everyone needs data analysis skills. However, the dearth of high-level data skills allow any tech professional with big data expertise or top DB certifications to write their own meal ticket. Especially if you possess tech proficiency in data analysis’ cream of the crop.

What’s hot? According to the Dice 2019 Tech Salary Report, big data technologies like Kafka and Cassandra earn $127,554 and $124,152, respectively. Additionally, if you have experience implementing big data tools at an operational level, you’ll be able to find no shortage of opportunities as more companies try to transition big data from niche departments to their comprehensive team.


All-points bulletin: the number of cybersecurity workers to cybersecurity job openings is 2:3. Companies are desperate for top cybersecurity professionals as attacks escalate and the global cost of cybercrime hurtles toward a bill of $6 trillion annually. For infosec experts, this is a great (albeit challenging) career opportunity.

Hackers’ strategies evolve fast and top professionals need to prove that they can adapt and change with the times. Plus, they need cross-specialization to boot. So, if you have experience with implementing AI tools as part of your protection measures or top programming languages to ensure secure development practices, you can expect companies to come after you.

Want to keep up with top 2019 IT job trends and stay ahead of the curve? Learn how with “Your Guide to Future-Proofing Your IT Career”.


Related Articles

Mastering the IT Job Search: Why It’s All about Who You Know

Your Guide to Future-Proofing Your IT Career

UI and UX Skills That Will Boost Your Career Ahead of the Curve